Sunday, June 19, 2011

Follow Up: Paleo Questions Answered

If you're just tuning in, last week I wrote about my experiment with the Paleo Diet, eating the way our ancestors ate.  This diet is comprised of foods our bodies were meant to consume: animal protein, vegetables, fruits and healthy fats. Completely devoiding grains, dairy, legumes and if you can believe it, processed foods and sugars are also a no no.  
As I said last week, I am not attempting to change your mind about any one way of feeding your body, just enlightening you on the basics of Paleo eating and why it's a good thing.    
Since last weeks article, I received nine emails and comments.  Although six were from my inquisitive sister, all had questions regarding the diet and you know how I feel about questions - they must be answered. Below are the questions I have been getting the most. 



"Jaime, where do you shop and what do you buy? I need a list!"


Unless I stop off at a farmer's market, I shop at three places: Trader Joe's, Henry's and Costco. Here's my basic lists for each store.  Copy, paste into a word document and post on your fridge.


Trader Joe's:
  • Nuts/Seeds (raw cashews, walnuts, raw pepitas, almonds, sunflower seeds, walnut pieces). 
  • Frozen Mangos 
  • Organic Frozen Strawberries
  • Organic Frozen Veggies - good for throwing in Crock Pot 
  • Fresh Guacamole - cheap way to get your avocados.
  • Dried Fruit - Raisins, prunes, apricots, peaches, figs.
  • Canned Tomatoes -make your own salsa or marinara meat sauce.
  • Almond Meal
  • Plain Applesauce
  • Nut butters - like Sun butter or Almond butter
  • Frozen Wild Fish - Alaskan Cod and Oregon Sole
  • Canned Wild Salmon - the larger can is cheaper because it has the soft edible bones.  However, you won't notice them and they're actually fun to eat! You're a predator now, save a buck and eat the damn bones.
  • Almond Milk and Coconut Milk.
  • Spices - 21 Seasoning Salute is great and salt free.
  • Tea
Henry's:
  • All fresh fruit and vegetables - 3 lb bag of apples, oranges, grapefruit,bananas, grapes, kiwi, pears, plums, melons, Swiss chard, cabbage,fresh raw beets, celery, mushrooms, yams, sweet cherry tomatoes, onions, garlic, eggplant, peppers, Brussel sprouts, leeks, bok-choy. 
  • Coconut products - oil, shredded, organic coconut in a jar.
  • Canned Wild Sardines - I like the marinara
  • Specialty items that are hard to find conventional stores.
  • The bins - depending on if certain items are on sale, I will buy nuts, seeds, dried fruit (make sure no added sugar).
Costco:
  • Meat - I prefer organic, free range meat, but when money is tight, this is the cheapest you can get. Pork Roasts, Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef, Frozen Chicken Breasts, Frozen Turkey Burgers, Frozen Wild Salmon Burgers. Apple Chicken Sausages. 
  • Lara Bars and Trio Bars - Lara Bars are amazing and only have 2 ingredients, fruit and nuts.  Trio Bars are good, although providing less sugar, they do use a dash of cane sugar.  But I like both for out the door situations. 
  • Dried Fruit - Sometimes they have dried figs and some other good fruits at a cheaper price.
  • Nuts - They are about the same price as Trader Joe's, so you pick.Eggs - Stock up!
  • Frozen Berries - They usually have one organic frozen fruit, so whatever it is I buy 2 or 3 bags at a time.
  • Organic Spring Salad Mix
  • Organic Spinach
  • Sugar Snap Peas
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Again, the basics.  If you like other things  or other places to shop, that's fine.  This is where I have found the best deals on certain foods.


"Jaime, what the hell do you eat for breakfast?"

This may take some getting used to, but once you make the switch from having cereals and breads, you'll never want to go back.  In the morning, my meals will usually be one of the following mixture; Fruit and nuts,  eggs and veggies or meat, fruit and veggie.  Here's a few examples:
  • 1/2 Cantaloupe, sprinkled almond meal, hard boiled egg
  • mixed banana, strawberries, kiwi topped with sliced almonds and coconut milk
  • eggs, sliced steak, spinach, mixed peppers, tomatoes, garlic and onion 
  • apple, figs and walnuts
  • cashews, sliced pork roast and applesauce
  • grapefruit, almond meal and shredded coconut 
  • Lara bar and glass of coconut milk
I find that having meat in the morning really helps with hunger.  10x more than oatmeal or cereal ever did. If you want actual recipes for breakfast, go to Everyday Paleo.  I have also hear from people that giving up their yogurt will be difficult.  Ok, if you must, then please stick to raw dairy from grass fed cows.  It does make a difference.

"Jaime, lunch and dinner ideas, NOW!"

It's always the same idea, but eaten in different doses.  I will have some form of meat. some veggies, some fruit, some healthy fats.  I like to keep it simple with meals like these:
  • Salmon or turkey burger on top of spring mix with fresh chopped beets, red peppers and Pepitas. 
  • Chicken breast sliced and rolled into lettuce or cabbage and dipped into deli mustard with fruit and sliced almonds
  • Canned salmon salad; hard-boiled egg, celery, carrots, dill and dash of mayo.  2 baby apples. Homemade ground beef marinara sauce with zucchini strip "spaghetti."  Actually using a potato peeler to create strips which mimic pasta.  Really good!
  • Crock Pot pork roast or chicken. Throw in a can of tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers and maybe a chopped yam.  Let it cook all day and see what you get.
  •  Apple Chicken Sausage and wilted spinach salad.                                              
Again, look up some healthy Paleo recipes if you're getting bored with the menu. I am a plain eater, but believe me, there are thousands of menu ideas and you should never run out of things to eat.


"Jaime, what have you found to be the most challenging part of the diet?"

I guess always having things ready to eat.  We are so used to grabbing bread for sandwiches or crackers for snacks.  It was frustrating for a while, not being able to quickly grab a tortilla or toast or whatever.  Now it's no big deal and the reason is I make most of my meals in advance.  Shopping and prepping for a family of 4 when its just me.  So instead of buying and making a single chicken breast, I cook 5 so they are ready for salads, scrambles, snacks etc.  I hard boil a dozen eggs at a time.  I defrost my frozen berries.  I chop up my veggies.  Always being prepared for hunger, that's the challenge but also the key.

Does this help?  Let me know and please send me an email or leave a comment below.
By the way, I attempted to reply to the comments in the last article, but come to find out, I'm not smart and couldn't figure it out.  So if you did leave a comment, thank you and I hope I answered your questions.

2 comments:

  1. Great menu ideas! Thanks cave lady Jaime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely some good options! maybe ill even try it out for two weeks.

    ReplyDelete